- I am a Human Resources Consultant with over 25 years of real HR experience working within three outstanding organizations. My experience includes employee relations, total compensation, benefits and wellness, workforce diversity program development, talent acquisition and management, HR technology and operations, organizational learning and development, and strategic planning.
- A significant part of my current consulting practice is focused on conducting complex, independent Human Resources investigations for mid-sized and large organizations.
- A third of my practice is focused on helping small and mid-sized companies, public entities, and non-profits with a variety of HR needs – serving as a contracted HR resource on a day-to-day basis; conducting HR Audits; preparing and updating Job Structures and Job Descriptions; reviewing and updating Policy Manuals; preparing Compensation Comparisons; developing standardized HR practices and tools around Performance Management and Discipline; advising on HR Department structures and Communication strategies.
- The rest of my time is spent working one-on-one with Presidents, CEOs, Executive Directors, HR Managers, Board Members, Supervisors, Employees, and Employment Attorneys providing confidential, situational HR advice on a variety of needs.
Areas Of Expertise
- HR Investigations
- Management and Executive Coaching
- HR Infrastructure Development
- Communication Plans
- Performance Review Systems
- Policy Creation and Implementation
Portland HR Solutions, Inc., Portland, Oregon 2015 – Current
President and Managing Consultant
Provide Human Resources, Communications, and Management consulting services to private sector businesses, government agencies, and non-profits. Work directly with executive teams and board members, leadership and management staff, and line employees and employee teams. Develop project proposals and bids, budgets, project plans, and strategies. Present proposals to prospective and current clients, formalize deliverables, agree to timelines and resources, and finalize contracts.
Work with clients, consultants, and contractors/vendors to create and implement new workforce solutions and program updates. Conduct research, investigations, and analysis and write summary reports. Research and prepare compensation comparisons for public entities. Deliver management coaching and career counseling to employees on an individual basis. Responsible for marketing plans and activities, client relations, identifying and selecting subcontractors, writing business articles for the company website, and managing business operations.
SAIF Corporation, Salem, Oregon 2007 – 2014
Vice President of Operations and Human Resources March 2012 – December 2014
Executive Team member and direct report to President and CEO. Responsible for Administrative Services Division operations throughout Oregon including budgeting and purchasing, buildings and furnishings, building maintenance and service contracts, food service and cafeteria, and building security and access.
Responsible for all Human Resources Division functions including total compensation, benefits, health and wellness, safety and risk management, employee clinic, payroll, talent acquisition, training and development, employee relations, policy development, technology, budget, and absence management. Co-lead Diversity and Inclusion Office with President and CEO.
- Supported innovative operational programs and trainings to enhance and improve employee engagement, morale, health, and productivity.
- Served as executive co-sponsor for Bilingual Council and Diversity Leadership Team and sponsor of other employee tactic teams.
- Initiated SAIF’s Salem campus study and redesign project to update the company’s 40-year-old downtown campus.
- Drove 2012 external compensation review for all corporate compensation programs and structures to better align with market and current best practices, review and adjust administration policy and procedure.
- Successfully migrated $45 million in employee 457 plan investments from ING and Hartford to Great West Investments.
- Worked directly with Board of Directors on a variety of projects, including the onboarding and exiting of senior executive leadership, and with the Board Compensation Committee to establish President and CEO compensation each year.
Human Resources Director 2007 – 2012
Direct oversight of Human Resources managers responsible for the areas of operations, total compensation, benefits, health and wellness, safety and risk management, employee clinic, payroll, talent acquisition, training and development, employee relations, policy development, technology and absence management.
- Developed and implemented a new strategic plan for HR Division to better partner and align with operational and business divisions.
- Established a shared-responsibility model for HR managers and rotation of manager duties to remove silos of specialization and provide succession planning and staff development.
- Rewrote all employee policies in cooperation with Corporate Legal; worked with Communication and Design and IT divisions to launch new policies in new format on the corporate intranet site.
- Responsible for the selection and implementation of new HRIS system (ADP hosted product), new compensation administration system (CompXL), and talent acquisition software (ICIMS).
- Presented regular webcasts/company broadcasts on benefits, compensation, and state of the company with President and CEO and Executive Team.
Oregon State Lottery, Salem, Oregon 1998 – 2007
Human Resources Manager 2006 -2007
Member of Executive Team, reported to the Deputy Director.
- Responsible for all areas of Human Resources.
- Oversaw the management process, actions, and response both during and after a union organizing effort and vote.
Employee Relations and Staffing Manager 2000 – 2006
Responsible for human resources staff assigned to employee relations and talent acquisition.
Senior Human Resources Generalist 1998 – 2000
Responsible for day-to-day Human Resources responsibilities to support business divisions throughout the Lottery, particularly in the areas of Employee Relations, ADA accommodation, protected leaves, policy development, and Safety and Risk.
- Wrote and implemented protected leave procedures, form letters, and leave calendars. Administered leave programs, advised and trained management, and advised and conducted meetings with employees.
- Facilitated performance discussions with managers and employees, worked with discipline memos and notices, conducted terminations.
- Conducted human resources investigations into misconduct, coordinated investigations and actions with Oregon State Police, and employment actions with Oregon Department of Justice.
- Safety Officer, Risk Management Coordinator. Maintained OSHA required documents and records, conducted safety inspections; investigated accident and incident reports; participated in Safety Committee meetings; responded to OSHA citations; coordinated agency reporting to State Risk Management Division.
State Farm Insurance, Salem, Oregon 1988 – 1998
Communications Supervisor 1996 – 1998
Managed the Pacific Northwest Region’s communication function as significant restructuring and layoffs in six states occurred. Member of leadership team and reported directly to Public Affairs Manager. Communication and strategic resource to the Executive Office: wrote articles, communication plans, and speeches. Direct appointed to this position because of my work in the HR Division leading the implementation of the Agency restructure. Media contact training by Burson-Marsteller.
Human Resources Representative I 1990 – 1996
Performed all Human Resource generalist functions for business partners in Oregon, Montana, and Idaho. Traveled constantly. Opened the Portland, Oregon Human Resources office in 1992.
Senior Editor 1988 – 1990
Wrote articles and copy for Pacific Northwest Region’s publications. Determined all publication content. Supervised publications staff including graphic designer, typographer, and photographer.
Board Member, Innovation Law Lab
- Innovation Law Lab is a start-up non-profit leveraging innovative technology and educational protocols to build capacity within immigrant communities.
Editor, The Artesia Report
- https://innovationlawlab.org/the-artesia-report, a highly influential academic interactive report.
Past Board Chair and Board Member, Immigration Counseling Service
- Immigration Counseling Service is a 501(c) 3 non-profit legal services agency. Legal immigration services are provided to persons fleeing persecution, families separated by borders, and individuals becoming citizens. http://immigrationcounseling.org
Member, Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM).
Oregon State University, Bachelor of Arts.
Major: English Literature. Minor: Economics
Exchange Program: Faculte Des Lettres, Avignon, France
Attended State Farm Insurance Companies Personnel School, Advanced Personnel School, and Public Affairs Certification programs. Regularly attend Human Resources continuing education programs, BOLI training, and other HR legal updates and training.